AND THE OLYMPIANS:
The Lightning Thief
FREE Online Summer Book and Movie Club
Join Our Online Club:
• Reading The Lightning Thief
• Online Message Board Discussions
• Streaming the Movie
• Live Panel Discussions with Lightning Thief Experts
• Create a Radio Play of one of the Book Scenes
STARTS: JULY 23
Youth Media for the Digital Age
True Kids 1 (TK1) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit youth-media education organization based in Taos, New Mexico. Our mission is to promote digital citizenship and open career paths for youth by providing them with media skills, tools, and opportunities. Through our hands-on media-production to media-literacy model, we provide technical gear and expertise to students and classrooms across northern New Mexico, helping students tell their stories, and develop essential critical thinking and media skills.
For 2021-222, TK1 has solidified three streams of programs for local youth: our in-school programs; our out-of-school programs; and our after-school programs. We also offer three Summer Camps and teacher professional-development opportunities. And, be sure to join us on Sunday May 22, 2022 for our first-ever Youth MediaFest!!! Win prizes, walk the red carpet, pose for paparazzi — and see the very best of local youth media. Read more right here.
* In-School Programs. Through our Customized Classroom Initiative, TK1 is now leading:
* A year-long documentary-film class at Moreno Valley High School, which will result in 5 student documentaries
* A set of nine five-block workshops at Taos High School on stop-motion animation, photo essays, journalism and more.
* Introduction to photography, photojournalism, and writing a Yearbook at Vista Grande High School.
* Out-of-School Programs. Now set for lift off from our new Headquarters Space in downtown Taos (222 Paseo del Pueblo Norte), TK1 features unique student opportunities:
* The TK1 Democracy Project, which amplifies youth voice in politics at the local and state level
* Our Professional Pathways Program: students assisting local businesses with marketing and communications with PAID ASSIGNMENTS
* TK1 Productions creates opportunities for students to capture local culture in short videos
* Our Emerging Journalists Program: students covering local events through PAID ASSIGNMENTS
* After-School Programs. We’ll announce a new set of after-school programs for launch at the end of February 2022. Meanwhile:
* Our Filmmaking Club meets every Tuesday at 3pm at the UNM-Taos HIVE. For Taos High School and Vista Grande High School students.
* Our Adobe Creative Cloud Workshop meets every Thursday at 3pm at the UNM-Taos HIVE. Contact Pete to enroll: [email protected]
* Our Introduction to Digital Animation and Comic Books begins via Zoom at two schools on February 10.
* Earlier in the fall, we had a fantastic Filmmaking in the Field Media Intensive (for 8-11 year olds) and a virtual Creating Digital Comic Books session with Lee Francis. Much more to come! Subscribe to our mailing list to ensure you always receive our announcements.
The TK1 Democracy Project
PRESS RELEASE FOR SUNDAY FEBRUARY 6, 2022
TAOS, NM — The TK1 Democracy Project provides outstanding TK1 students behind-the-scenes access to local and state political leaders, with the ultimate goal of promoting a better understanding of the political process — and a platform for youth voices. To the left, outstanding TK1 student Isabella O’Donnell Silfverberg interviewing Sen. Bobby Gonzales (on January 15, 2022). Next up in the Democracy Project: interviewing state representatives and senators as part of the Sen. Carlos Cisneros Fellowship; a Youth Forum bringing together Town of Taos mayoral and town council candidates; and a non-voting seat on the Town Council. Supported in part by the Taos Public Education Fund Advisory Committee.
TK1’s Customized Classroom Initiative
How can TK1 best serve you and your classroom?
Every classroom has its own challenges and media needs. TK1 staff work directly with teachers across northern NM to design an approach that satisfies specific and tailored learning objectives.
A letter from our Board of Directors
We are about to experience the full impact of the measures taken by the authorities to limit the spread of COVID 19.
As disquieting as the pandemic is and as disruptive as the need to social distance will be, it has also revealed the need for distance learning and the holes in our community where both technology and the means to deliver it are lacking. Fortunately our community, in full response mode, has Kit Carson Broadband, True Kids 1, and the Municipal Schools collaborating to compile an inventory of computers and broadband access, to identify what is needed and by whom, so as to ensure equity in the delivery of home schooling to the children in our community.
LOR foundation has committed to help fill the computer gap and Adobe have committed to making its suite of products available for free for the duration of the crisis. This moment represents an opportunity for teachers to utilize technology which will enable them to support online student learning. It will also enable students to remain engaged with their studies and be exposed to technology and tools which will stand them in good stead both academically and vocationally.
The tools which will be deployed will still encourage the evolution of critical thinking and collaboration amongst students. You will be at the forefront of this pioneering endeavor working closely with teachers, workshop mentors, Adobe support and other resources to support online student learning.
This is extremely important work which you will be undertaking in the coming weeks and months, for which we your Board of Directors and the community at large are extremely grateful and proud of the service you provide.
Please be safe and follow all the appropriate public health protocols. With the fondest regards,
MAKE A DONATION NOW
Thank you for your support.
Yes! I want to make a tax-deductible contribution to support TK1’s AMAZING programs.