AND THE OLYMPIANS:
The Lightning Thief
FREE Online Summer Book and Movie Club
Join Our Online Club:
• Reading The Lightning Thief
• Online Message Board Discussions
• Streaming the Movie
• Live Panel Discussions with Lightning Thief Experts
• Create a Radio Play of one of the Book Scenes
STARTS: JULY 23
Empowering Youth for the Digital Age
True Kids 1: Programs for the 2021-2 School Year
November 23, 2021
We’ve had a breathless start to the 2021-2 school year. Now based in our new Headquarters Space (join our Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony on December 10th!!), TK1 has solidified three streams of programs for local youth: our in-school programs; our after-school programs; and our out-of-school programs. And today we’re proud to announce our brand-new Professional Pathways Program. Read all about it right here or sign up for our mailing list right here to never miss an announcement!
* In-School Programs. Through our Customized Classroom Initiative, TK1 is now leading:
* A year-long documentary-film class at Moreno Valley High School, which will result in 5 student documentaries
* A year-long project at the Taos Pueblo Day School to build a Sound Studio, teaching students how to tell audio stories
* A set of nine five-block workshops at Taos High School, to launch in January 2022… and many more projects!!
* After-School Programs. We’ll announce a new set of after-school programs for launch in January 2022. Meanwhile:
* Our Filmmaking Club meets every Tuesday at 3pm at the UNM-Taos HIVE. For Taos High School and Vista Grande High School students.
* Earlier in the fall, we had a fantastic Filmmaking in the Field Media Intensive (for 8-11 year olds) and a virtual Creating Digital Comic Books session with Lee Francis. Much more to come! Subscribe to our mailing list to ensure you always receive our announcements.
* Out-of-School Programs. Now set for lift off from our new Headquarters Space, TK1 features three unique student opportunities:
* Our Emerging Journalists Program: students covering local events through PAID ASSIGNMENTS
* Our Professional Pathways Program: students assisting local businesses with marketing and communications with PAID ASSIGNMENTS
TK1 Announces its Professional Pathways Program
PRESS RELEASE FOR TUESDAY NOVEMBER 16, 2021
TAOS, NM — The Professional Pathways Program is a new out-of-school enrichment program that connects Taos youth with local businesses. Participating students will gain invaluable, hands-on experience in using digital-media tools for communications, marketing, and advertising by responding to the needs and demands of the local business community. Student-led outputs will highlight local businesses for their own web sites, social media accounts, and even in the Taos News. The program will also cover major events for local businesses, as TK1 did at for the Renewable Taos Electric Car Expo in September 2021.
TK1’s Customized Classroom Initiative
How can TK1 best serve you and your classroom?
SEPTEMBER 2, 2021: Every classroom has its own challenges and media needs. TK1 staff work directly with teachers across northern NM to design an approach that satisfies specific and tailored learning objectives.
A letter from our Board of Directors
We are about to experience the full impact of the measures taken by the authorities to limit the spread of COVID 19.
As disquieting as the pandemic is and as disruptive as the need to social distance will be, it has also revealed the need for distance learning and the holes in our community where both technology and the means to deliver it are lacking. Fortunately our community, in full response mode, has Kit Carson Broadband, True Kids 1, and the Municipal Schools collaborating to compile an inventory of computers and broadband access, to identify what is needed and by whom, so as to ensure equity in the delivery of home schooling to the children in our community.
LOR foundation has committed to help fill the computer gap and Adobe have committed to making its suite of products available for free for the duration of the crisis. This moment represents an opportunity for teachers to utilize technology which will enable them to support online student learning. It will also enable students to remain engaged with their studies and be exposed to technology and tools which will stand them in good stead both academically and vocationally.
The tools which will be deployed will still encourage the evolution of critical thinking and collaboration amongst students. You will be at the forefront of this pioneering endeavor working closely with teachers, workshop mentors, Adobe support and other resources to support online student learning.
This is extremely important work which you will be undertaking in the coming weeks and months, for which we your Board of Directors and the community at large are extremely grateful and proud of the service you provide.
Please be safe and follow all the appropriate public health protocols. With the fondest regards,
MAKE A DONATION NOW
Thank you for your support.
Yes! I want to make a tax-deductible contribution to support TK1’s AMAZING programs.