AND THE OLYMPIANS:
The Lightning Thief
FREE Online Summer Book and Movie Club
Join Our Online Club:
• Reading The Lightning Thief
• Online Message Board Discussions
• Streaming the Movie
• Live Panel Discussions with Lightning Thief Experts
• Create a Radio Play of one of the Book Scenes
STARTS: JULY 23
The TK1 Youth Council
The TK1 Youth Council exists to amplify the power of our youth in decision-making through deliberation, informed action, and digital media.
The Youth Council’s first major event is The Future of our Water, to be held on Friday December 9th at the TCA. All details here, and teaser video on the right!
The Youth Council believes in a community that:
- Creates youth-driven, positive change
- Advances policies that are youth-relevant, youth-informed, and incorporate the 7th Generation Principle, with all policies addressing sustainability and how they might potentially affect people seven generations from now
- Values, prioritizes, and solicits a representative and inclusive youth voice in its decision-making
- Educates youth on civics and decision-making so that they can effectively participate
- Youth want to stay and thrive in, growing up securely and confidently
- Doesn’t stereotype knowledge or ability by age
- Effectively uses media to capture and broadcast an informed and engaged youth voice
- Creates spaces for youth to gather and discuss major issues shaping their lives
- Uses youth-created and -gathered data and evidence to ground and advance decisions.
ABOVE: Summer ’22 Youth Council Meeting with Town of Taos Council Member Corilia Ortega.
Recognizing that the Youth Council is a new entity that will routinely learn in order to better sharpen its activities, we nonetheless will focus on the following four set of intertwined activities in our first year (2022-23) of operations.
I. We will provide demand-based feedback for government, business, agencies etc. to better incorporate youth opinions and perspectives into wider decisions and programs. This includes:
- Providing written or verbal feedback on specific demands and requests
- Creating presentations for Town Council, County Commission as needed
- Creating a Youth Council “Stamp of Approval” to approve of specific activities performed by government, businesses, agencies, etc.
- Using surveys and interviews to capture wider youth feedback and opinions; performing web-based research to inform Youth Council responses.
II. We will convene youth-led dialogues focused on big topics shaping our future, with an emphasis on discussing big, positive, and solutions-oriented ideas, using media as a key tool to advance collective understandings. This includes:
- Planning, organizing, and convening two Future Dialogues. The first is The Future of our Water on December 9 2022, and the second is The Future of our Food in May 2023.
III. We will lead awareness- and consciousness-raising activities designed by, led by, and for youth, using media as an innovative supporting mechanism. This includes:
- Running workshops designed to help youth on any given issue (e.g. mental health, college preparations)
- Leading composting, recycling, gardening efforts
- Organizing concerts and special events
- Making videos or other media on important local careers and opportunities
- Making videos to advance specific issues, including challenges, common understandings etc.
- Using media to advance or perform an accountability/ombudsman function (e.g. tracking decisions, processes of elected officials).
IV. We will actively design, collect, synthesize, and contextualize youth perspectives using youth-driven data and evidence. This includes:
- Using online surveys (disseminated in classrooms) to solicit youth opinion on specific issues
- Using video to educate youth on issues, and then capturing immediate feedback to help create representative decisions
- Creating Reflection Papers to summarize and synthesize youth perspectives on big issues
- Performing web-based research to learn from other contexts and create lessons for the Youth Council to understand and potentially adapt.
We recognize with enormous gratitude the LOR Foundation as the major seed funder of the Youth Council, ensuring we can meet regularly and can stage both of our Future Dialogues over 2022-23. We also recognize with great gratitude the New Mexico Humanities Council for support through its Democracy and the Informed Citizen partnership program.
- Our youth must be highly and routinely educated in media (including media tools, media technologies, and media literacy)
- Our youth concerns must be soundly educated, incorporate multiple perspectives, representative, transparent, heard, respected, and ultimately addressed
- Our youth must advance diversity, balance, representation, equity, and inclusion in decision-making to see and understand all perspectives, incorporating age, ethnicity, socioeconomic background and so on
- Our youth must hold ourselves to the highest standards, being accountable and responsible to our words, actions, and decisions.
- Our youth must, where and when possible, demand data, information, and evidence to underpin our advocacy and decision-making
- Our youth must demand and help shape safe learning outlets for our expression
- Our youth must continually learn by doing.
MAKE A DONATION NOW
Thank you for your support.
Yes! I want to make a tax-deductible contribution to support the AMAZING programs of True Kids 1.